5.4 US Gallons
Options for Casks
Traditional Cask Beer
- Naturally carbonated and conditioned in cask
- Typically carbonated to 1.0-1.5vol CO2
- 2oz of corn sugar for pin cask
Pre-fermented and Carbonated Beer
- Rack beer to cask
- Add additions
- Consider adding additions in bags to ensure they don’t block the tap
Preparing the Cask
- Remove Bung and Keystone
- Remove Bung prior to removing tap and Keystone.
- Hammer Screwdriver through Bung sideways. Use as lever.
- Keystone will come out with pliers or screwdriver.
- Don’t bend or damage cask!
- Hammer in Keystone
- Purge with CO2
- Fill Cask
- Hammer in Bung
- 1-2 days prior to serving, hammer soft spile through bung to vent and check carbonation level.
- Prepare to get soaked!
- When gushing stops, remove soft spile and hammer in hard spile.
- When ready to serve, hammer in clean tap.
- Replace hard spile with soft spile to allow proper flow of beer at tap.